Search

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Yam Cake

Spotted fresh taro (yam) at the market and since then I have been wondering what to make out of it.. It's great as a snack, usually I just steam it and sprinkle a little salt on it, but there are other ways to eat it too.. and I'm torn between trying to make a dim-sum style yam cake (wu tow ko), or the traditional Indonesian yam cake (we call it gethuk. It's mildly sweet and eaten with grated mature coconut flesh that is sprinkled with salt). 

I ended up choosing to make the dim-sum style, just because I've never made it before (and also because I love dried shrimp! - as a matter of fact, I love prawns so much my family nick-named me "the Queen of prawn")

Ingredients:

350 g  yam, peeled & cut into 2cm cubes
275 g rice flour
125 g corn starch
1 L water
150 g dried shrimp, soaked, then drained.
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp salt
a pinch of white pepper
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fried shallots 
1 stalk scallion, chop finely
a few tbsp oil

  1. Grease a square baking tray lightly with a little oil, set aside. (choose one that will fit in your steamer)
  2. Sift the flour & corn starch together, add water, mix well & strain the mixture.
    Steam the yam pieces for about 10-15 minutes or until slightly soft.
  3. Heat the oil, fry minced garlic until fragrant. Add in steamed yam cubes, salt, pepper, sugar, mix well.
  4. Pour the flour mixture into the frying pan and continue stirring until the mixture thickens (about 5 mins)
  5. Pour the thickened batter into the greased tray and place back into the steamer for further 30 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.
As you steam the cake, prepare the topping:

Heat another tbsp/ 2 of oil, add in the chopped prawns & chili & spring onion. Stir until fragrant.
Mix with the fried shallots.

When the cake is done, turn it out and cut as desired, and decorate it with the topping.
I cut mine into large squares (it made for quite a filling snack!)