Search

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Potluck dinner & birthday boy

This weekend is a particularly busy one, as we're hosting a potluck dinner, which coincides with A's birthday. I wanted to bake him an x-box cake, since he's been wanting one, but the real thing is so costly, so I'd rather give him an artificial one.. ^^, and as if keeping it from him for a few days while I was at it wasn't tough enough, I had to work around Rafael's sleeping times (which, during the day, consist of a few short naps at best), But at the end, thankfully everything worked out well enough. I even got to choose a perfect hiding place for it. (the oven, obviously! hahaha)



The dinner itself was enjoyable. There were 11 of us gathering on our dining table, and since neither A and myself didn't have time to take out another table from the store room, everyone squeezed into this 6-8 seater table; though that didn't affect the appetite, it's winter after all so we were ravenous!

We had lots of food, and everyone's cooking were so yummy, I had trouble choosing what to try first :P. We had home made loh bak (our friend's family secret recipe, nice!!), stir fried seafood, crispy chicken wings, fish maw soup, szechuan soup (hot&sour), shiu mai, an attractive veggie dish, and a steamed pork dish. holey-canoley, we can barely fit the rice bowl in the middle of the table! I'll have to update the food photo later though...

When we came to the end of the dinner, I took out the cake for everyone to enjoy. (and accidentally broke the figurine's arm.. -_-...) Everyone sang a loud happy birthday and A cut the cake before he blew the candle! hahaha, I guess the birthday wish wasn't as effective then! I was glad A was surprised and everyone helped themselves to seconds and thirds. (really can't go wrong with chocolate cake! This was Milo chocolate cake - served with a little vanilla butter cream) At the end of the night, we had only three pieces left; great stuff! I was afraid there'll be lots of leftover...

the knife's inching to get to A,, creepy!!
Well, suffice to say that we went to sleep a fitful sleep with full stomach that night.. Thanks everyone for a great night!