Search

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stir-fried Kangkung

The Oriental market near our place has a great range of stock, and today when we were out and about doing grocery shopping, to my delight, I saw a perfect bunch of kangkung. I don't see them around too often, so Immediately I snatched it away off the shelf, along with thinly sliced pork fillet, and soon I was happily plotting away the dinner menu tonight.


Kim Chee shop just across the street was open then, and before we knew it we made our way there, only to come out a few minutes later with a few containers of kim chee and marinated chili squid. We never checked out the place before, but from the looks (and smell) of things, we'll probably be back there again soon :)

Tonight I'm cooking stir-fried kangkung with garlic and soybean sauce, pan-fried pork fillet marinated in soy sauce and butter, and serve them with cold soba noodle, the kim chee and the squid. 


When I cook kangkung, I like to cook the leaves separately, so that they won't get overcooked, but that's just me... below are the ingredients I use:

Stir-fried kangkung- serves 2 (starving adults)

1 bunch of kangkung, washed & strained
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red chilli, de-seeded & chopped.
3-3 1/2 tsp soy bean sauce ( I used the white variety)
1 tsp dark soy sauce 
sugar, salt & white pepper to taste

  1. Heat a few tbsp oil in the wok, add in minced garlic & chilli. 
  2. Add in the kangkung (leaves last) in two batches (as they started off quite huge before wilting away)
  3. Pour in the soy bean sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar & pepper as necessary.
  4. As the leaves wilt nicely, turn the heat off and season with salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment