Search

Friday, April 1, 2011

A time to cook

Since the birth of my son, I barely cook, let alone roam around the kitchen; I'm pretty much confined in the bedroom and bathroom, taking care of nappies and bottles, feeding, sleeping and bathing. Sometimes the routine is soothing, therapeutic even, but at times it drives me nuts. ^_^

Quite recently, thankfully, Rafael is adjusting to some kind of routine well enough for me to do a little bit of work, and that includes cooking. Like this morning, for example, I could get laundry, dishes and the cooking done at the same time. It made me happy (it's surprising how little things can make me happy now... hahaha)

I've got half a rack of pork spare ribs sitting in the freezer, so this recipe is created to make use of those ribs.. yum!



IGA BUMBU KUNING (SPARE RIBS IN YELLOW SAUCE)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 L water
1/2 rack of ribs (approx. 400g)
1 lemongrass
3 cm galangal
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 medium onion, chop finely
3/4 tsp raw sugar
3/4 tsp chicken powder
salt & pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Cut the ribs into single portions, clean & boil in the water on low-medium heat. Filter out the froth.
  2. Add all the ingredients except salt, pepper & chicken powder
  3. Put a lid on the pan once it boils & lowers the heat, continue simmering the meat until tender (meat almost falling off the bone) It took me approx. 50 minutes. The sauce will be reduced to almost 1/4 by then. Season to taste, turn off the heat.
  4. Serve the spare ribs with a mound of steamed rice and fried shallots, drizzle with the sauce.

That's it. Easy peasy, and tastes quite good too.. Perhaps I was hungry.. ^_~