Search

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The birth

I could say that these 8 months have been a long one, particularly nearing the countdown to the birth of my baby, scheduled on Feb 2.. But who knows when bub wants to come out, anyway? Nobody could predict it, and so it came as a HUGE surprise when my waters broke early at 3 AM, way before the scheduled date, and way before my own prediction of when it would be. 

Rafael was born via caesarean (unfortunately, he was breech, so no natural birth for me.. though I don't really know whether it was an unfortunate thing or was it actually a blessing? :) ) operation @ 10 AM on Boxing day. Yeah, out of all days, my baby was born on a public holiday, but it was better than having him on Christmas day, with nobody available to assist the procedure; then it would be horrible indeed.

Putting on the cap

It was such a nerve-racking moments when the doctor told me that today was the day, and within the next 10 minutes after some checks were done, I was wheeled out of the room into the theater room, ready to face the ordeal (so not!). The anesthetist expertly injected the epidural on my lower back, and I was positioned on the bed, feeling a sense of numbness taking over. The team was great, and they worked quickly to put an IV on my arm, and pulling a blue curtain to conceal the lower half of me. All I heard after that was cutting sounds *gasps*, but none of the pain. I barely even felt the beginning of a contraction. @_@ What sort of birth is this? It felt so surreal and... instant =D

45 minutes later, Rafael was handed to me by one of the doctors, all red and crying. Suddenly it all became very real, and I was still rather dumb-founded while patting and cooing to him. Yes, this was my birth story, like nothing I would expect out of a birth story. But the highlight of the day is, that my son was safely delivered, weighing a tiny 1.7kg and 43 cm in length, yet for a premmie, he was wailing loudly, even the pediatrician remarked that his lung is quite mature.


                                                      So.... Hello world!

No comments:

Post a Comment